BIGDATA WITH OPEN DATA FOR INSTALLED HOSPITAL CAPACITY IN COLOMBIA
You have probably wondered why it is important to know the Hospital Capacity of a country in the face of the Coronavirus pandemic - COVID 19. One of the main consequences of the Coronavirus is the collapse of health systems and more specifically in the availability of Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Intermediate Care Unit (ICU) beds in hospitals due to the large number of patients arriving daily with complications due to the coronavirus.
This is why it is of great importance to know what is in place, in order to be able to estimate the response capacity when admitting patients affected by complications caused by contracting coronavirus. This is where Data Mining comes into play in favour of Public Health.
HOW TO FIND DATA TO KNOW THE INSTALLED HOSPITAL CAPACITY IN COLOMBIA?
We have been working on a Hospital Availability Forecast Model to answer the need to know how many general purpose adult, intensive care and intermediate care beds we will have available in the next few days in each department of Colombia.
The first thing we asked ourselves to start answering this question was: Are there data that can help us to know the installed capacity of hospital beds through a BigData platform? If so, where can we find it?
So in this post, we wanted to share with you the answers to those first two questions:
The first is that there are data that allow us to know the installed hospital capacity.
And for the second question, here are the places where you can find this information.
OPEN DATA PORTALS TO KNOW THE INSTALLED HOSPITAL CAPACITY IN COLOMBIA
- Datos.gov.co: In this Colombian government portal you can find more than 12,000 datasets from different sectors and public entities, including installed hospital capacity. We recommend searching by keyword such as: Registro Especial de Prestadores de Servicios de Salud (REPS) or Capacidad Hospitalaria.
- Open Data BogotaIn this Open Data portal, you can find Datasets of district public entities. Specifically in the Health Secretary Section, you can find data on the Installed and Available Hospital Capacity in Bogota.
- Integrated Social Protection Information System (SISPRO): This portal of the Ministry of Health contains different tools to obtain timely, sufficient and standardised information for decision-making in the Health and Social Protection Sector, centred on the Citizen.
STEPS TO FIND DATA ON INSTALLED HOSPITAL CAPACITY IN COLOMBIA
- Log on to www.sispro.gov.co
- Enter the Service Providers tool.
- Enter the REPS - Registro Especial de Prestadores de Servicios de Salud (Special Register of Health Service Providers) tool.
- Login as a guest
- Once logged in, look for the item Detailed Installed Capacity in the table of the current REPS section.
- Now filter the department for which you want to know the installed hospital capacity.
- Click on search
- View the data and download to csv or excel so you can start using it.